Sunday, January 18, 2009

January Windstorm 2008















As I write this the winds are barreling down the Columbia Gorge, blowing ferociously outside and whistling around the eaves. Every once in a while we will hear a loud thunk and then hear shingles tumble off the roof of the house. The wind has been blowing since Thursday and we have had sustained winds over 40 mph with gusts somewhere between 60-75 mph. We have an area 25 feet long and 4 feet wide where the shingles have blown away and all that is left is the plywood. Fortunately, it isn't raining, but we will need to do something before it starts to rain. Blink gets very stir crazy with the wind--the constant howling, and the pressure that builds up inside the house--we can understand because we feel the same way. When the wind blows, James wants to move. Here are some pictures of the storm.



This is our gate at the side of the house. Our neighbors tree blew over...of course we had 3 neighbors with trees over.








Our next door neighbors apple tree is going over and to the right of it a tree in the park is up-rooted and lying on its side. The park lost 5 big trees to this storm...that we could see.







We noticed this tree in the park is uprooted and rocking back and forth with the wind. Notice just below the white circle where it is uprooted--James heard the roots crack when he was out surveying the damage at the back of the house.

4 comments:

NanaBear said...

Obviously I didn't see the house on Friday when I checked out your blog!!!! WOW!!!!
Pam

The Kammeyers said...

We were so sorry to hear about this! Hope you are able to get things fixed soon - and hopefully with as little inconvenience as possible. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think we'll ever be able to watch "The Scarlet Pimpernel" without thinking of the sound of howling and shingles flying, and baby crying! Maybe we should watch a "boy blow up" movie during the next storm so we won't hear what's happening outside.

I picked up shingles Saturday after the repair, and more were down Sunday. I picked them up again today, and still more are blowing off. Along with that, our dryer stopped drying...all while Scott's ready to head to China tomorrow. Crazy week!

You did such a great job of recording all the events. Your wedding pictures are wonderful. Thanks again for the Christmas Eve dinner.

nanadover said...

Sorry to read about your flying roof. We had the same problem several years ago...on my birthday, no less! Happy birthday to me! I received a roof repair! I'll never forget it! Several men from the ward came to help Mikel do a temporary repair that horrific cold and windy Dec. I was in the kitchen making soup, hot chocolate, and anything else that would warm them up when they came in. While standing at the stove, I just finished saying a silent prayer, asking Heavenly Father to protect all those prancing on our roof. I immediately heard a voice coming from above. It took me a couple seconds to realize that what I was hearing were the men talking outside, on the roof, right by the stove vent. I could hear them as if they were speaking directly into it. Alas...no divine voices coming from above- just human angels who came to help rescue us from a leaky roof!