Thursday, April 25, 2013

Stuttgart, Germany--Day 5

We left Schwangau shortly after breakfast and headed north toward Stuttgart. The Alps as we drove away were breathtaking. I didn't know that we had already been on the autobahn a few days ago, (I just thought James was driving fast!) I thought we had to go through a gate or something; seems we don't. We were driving on the autobahn and we did it again today. The Mercedes we have is very comfortable and it cruises comfortably at 160-180 km/hour which 100-110 mph. We did that a lot with people still passing us on the left. James was able to get up to 199 km/hr which s about 125 mph, but although he really tried to get the car to go faster, he couldn't. It didn't feel like we were going that fast, maybe because everyone else was too. But let me tell you--when we had to slow down to 60 km/hr for construction, it felt like we were crawling!

We arrived in Stuttgart at 1230. (Poor GPS had to recalculate the time because of our speed.) we couldn't check into the hotel but we were able to park in the garage and walk to the Porsche Museum.

James looked just like a little boy on Christmas morning. He has wanted to come to the museum for a long time. I asked the lady how long it usually takes to go through the museum, she said 1-1/2 hours. There were 80 cars and it took James 4-1/2 hours. It was fun to watch him he was so excited! They gave us headsets and I kept having to push the numbers to hear about each car for him as he would forget in his excitement at looking at each car! We would still be there I am sure had I not done that.

0 comments: