Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Our 4th of July

Amazingly, I got the 4th of July off. I was surprised since I was 4th on the list. To celebrate our Independence Day James and I went to the Mt. Hood Stake flag raising and breakfast. James helped set up and went early. I joined him an hour later. There was a nice program with the flag raising, someone spoke, a choir sang two numbers, we sang and then ate French Toast and link sausage. It was all very nice. It is good to be reminded of all that has been sacrificed so that we can have our freedoms. I thought of the people who gave all, and the ones who I know who have fought in wars--specifically my dad. It has been a while since I said the 'Pledge of Allegiance' and that was nice too.

Later James and I worked out in the yard and I made Nordi Bars to take to the BBQ. We were invited over to Aaron and Lauren's annual block party. When they celebrate, they go all out!

After the dinner, James and I left for a couple hours so we could take a motorcycle ride. We were able to ride down roads I have never been in in the 23 years we have lived here. That was a lot of fun!

We ended up back at Aaron and Lauren's where the people on their block let off fireworks that reminded me of the 4th of July's from my childhood where we would sit along the shore of Puget Sound at Edmonds Beach and watch the skies light up. The difference was that these skies were lit up constantly for 1-1/2 hours--with many different colors-- Many times with more than one mortar set off at the same time. It was spectacular!

0 comments: